By 1928, Notts & Derby was given power to operate a trolleybus system in the area. The first part of the system opened between Bridge Street, Cotmanhay and Hallam Fields, Ilkeston on 7 January 1932. On 5 October 1933 the last tram ran on the Nottingham to Ripley route.
The trolleybus system was very efficient and reliable, the journey from Ripley to Nottingham taking 90 minutes, with some 230 stops along the way. When the electricity industry was mostly nationalised in 1948, Balfour Beatty sold the Midland General Group to the British Transport Commission.
Trolleybuses continued until 25 April 1953, when they too gave way to the increased versatility of the bus. The fleet of trolleybuses was sold to Bradford Corporation.
The first Notts & Derby trolleybuses were a batch of six smart and streamlined English Electric single-deckers with forward-entrance bodywork seating 32 passengers.
Numbers 300 - 305 (RB 5568 - RB 5573) entered service in 1932, operating in the Ilkeston area.
In 1949, The new fleet of 15 Notts & Derby BUT 9611T-EEC / Weymann H30/26R trolleybuses (NNU 224-238, fleet numbers 343-357) replaced all the remaining single decker and AEC 661T-EEC / MCCW H31/24R (RB 8951, fleet number 317, etc.) half-cab double decker trolleybuses.
Midland General Omnibus Company
N&D 353 spent some time working in Bradford and later was kept in under cover accommodation near Bournemouth where much restoration was undertaken. It was then moved to the Trolleybus Museum. It is indeed partially restored, and when funds and manpower become available, this work will be finished.
The vehicle is available to view at the Museum if accompanied by a member of Staff.