The Rotherham system was one of the earliest trolleybus installations in the UK, opening on 3 October 1912. It was a medium-sized operation with 10 routes and a maximum fleet of 80 trolleybuses. In an area plagued by low bridges only single-deck trolleybuses were purchased.
Between 1948 and 1950 the fleet was almost entirely replaced by 44 new Daimlers. These had the fleet's standard 6-wheel centre-entrance layout with bodywork by East Lancashire Coachbuilders of Blackburn. Electrical equipment was by Crompton-Parkinson or English Electric.
37 started life as fleet number 17 and is a Daimler CTE6 with English Electric components. However, by the time it entered service in 1950 single deck operation was starting to become uneconomic and after the abandonment of some routes by 1954 only one section (Mexborough) dictated the use of single deck vehicles. It was therefore decided to rebody 20 of the postwar Daimlers as double-deckers and 17's chassis was the first of 14 sent to CH Roe of Leeds in 1956 for new 70-seat bodies. The "new" bus was renumbered 37, re-entering service on 7 May 1956.
It remained in service until the closure of the system in 1965, as did sister vehicle 44.
The vehicle needs some remedial work before it can re-enter service at the Museum.
37 is owned and maintained by the Rotherham 37 Trolleybus Group.