The Nottingham trolleybus system opened on 10 April 1927, gradually replacing the city's tramway network. By UK standards it was a medium-sized system, with a total of 8 routes and a maximum fleet of 157 trolleybuses.
Six Nottingham trolleybuses are preserved: four at the Trolleybus Museum at Sandtoft and the others in a private collection.
506 was one of a batch of 102 trolleybuses which entered service between late 1949 and August 1952, replacing the remains of Nottingham's pre-war trolleybus fleet (see Nottingham 346 and 367). The chassis was the BUT 9641T and the bodywork was supplied by Nottingham's favoured local firm of Brush at Loughborough; the Brush Coachworks division closed in 1952, so the last members of this batch were amongst the last Brush bus bodies.
The first 25 of this batch, including 506, were built to the 8 foot width that had been permitted since 1946, although until 1950 the routes on which they could be used had to be individually approved by the Traffic Commissioners. To warn drivers the "8-footers" were fitted with white steering wheels.
In 1962 Nottingham Corporation appointed a new General Manager, John C Wake. Mr Wake had previously served at St Helens, where he oversaw the abandonment of that town's trolleybus system in 1958, and then at Bradford from 1961 during which short time he instituted a change of policy which led to the closure of that system, Britain's last, in 1972. At Nottingham Mr Wake acquired a large trolleybus fleet becoming due for replacement in the next few years so it was perhaps no surprise that he opted for abandonment instead. The last public journeys ran on 30 June 1966 and the next day 506, suitably lettered as Nottingham's last trolleybus, made a ceremonial run marking the end of the system.
506 arrived at Sandtoft in 1974 and regularly runs in service at the Museum.