Replacement of the Grimsby District Light Railway began in 1926, with the conversion into a trolleybus route of the branch tramway from Riby Square, Grimsby along Freeman Street, Grimsby. The second Grimsby trolleybus route, a replacement of the main tramway section between the Old Market Place in Grimsby and Kingsway in Cleethorpes, was not opened until November 1936.
The tramway, which had been taken over by the Cleethorpes Urban District Council in July 1936, continued to operate until mid-1937, with a reduced service between Riby Square and Cleethorpes. It closed on 17 July 1937, and the new Cleethorpes trolleybus system was inaugurated the next day, operating jointly with the Grimsby system, on the Grimsby–Cleethorpes route, which was extended to Bathing Pool.
Operation of both trolleybus systems was transferred to the Grimsby Cleethorpes Transport Joint Committee in 1957, but they were both closed soon afterwards, on 4 June 1960. Some of their redundant trolleybuses then served on the Walsall system, until that system's closure in 1970.
This privately owned vehicle is currently kept at the Museum's off-site store at Westgate. It is planned to transfer it to the Museum shortly to re-start its restoration.