This was one of a batch of five vehicles new to Darlington Corporation Transport in 1949. Since the trolleybus system opened in 1926 only single-deckers had been operated, but these had double-deck East Lancs bodies in anticipation of roads being lowered under some low bridges. By the time they were delivered it had already been decided to abandon trolleybus operation and in 1952 the five trolleybuses were sold to Doncaster Corporation for further service.
In 1959 the batch was sold to Bradford and in 1962 all five received new East Lancs forward-entrance bodies before re-entering service. They were all withdrawn in 1971.
Until recently, 834 ran regularly at the Museum. It is now in the process of being re-commissioned.
The vehicle can be viewed at the Museum with assistance from a member of the voluntary staff.